To a refreshing 2012: Avocado Chutney

After a 3-month hiatus, I am back to the blogosphere with plenty of good wishes for a belated but very Happy & refreshing 2012 to all. I hope the year has been good so far and you are looking forward to the rest of the year.

In the beginning of the year, a friend said that 2012 is a year of change. I made fun of him then, but I get a feeling – he is going to be right.

For me, 2012 kicked off in a memorable way. V started school this year. Play school – but a school nevertheless. He was excited about going to school and that was a good sign. I really didn’t expect him to be shy. I was more worried about the other kids as my little one can be too friendly at times and this goes beyond the social norms of what is acceptable as friendly. How do you teach your little ones to behave in the most “adult” like ways. Shake hands (don’t hug someone you just met 5 minutes ago… because that’s socially frowned upon). At the same time, we hug our kids at every opportunity we get. I tell him not to give instructions to other kids (the poor guy is just doing what he is told) because we should let other people be & honestly because it’s not what is expected of a kid his age. Other kids have their own parents to instruct them! Ironical, isn’t it?

I often wonder about the true meaning of the word ‘parenting’. I wish it were as simple as providing the best environment for our kids to turn out to be the smartest in every sphere of life – it is not. Is it us trying to be good parents or is it our kids teaching us how to be good parents – instinctively through their innocence? They inspire us to introspect. They make us want to be a better person – someone they will feel proud to have as their Parent.

It goes beyond the relationship shared between our children and us. It is also a constant reminder of our parents’ journey to get us to where we are today…

Leaving you with that thought and looking forward to your views, it’s time to talk about the refreshing Avocado chutney.

This one doesn’t have a very long history. When we were growing up in India, Avocado was something I’d never seen or heard of. However, I am told that it is readily available now, at least in the metros. This version of the chutney originated in my big sis’ home in Vancouver & it’s traveled a long way since. It’s been shared with friends and has become a part of their daily meals as well.

For a printer-friendly version of this recipe, click here.

Serves: 4-5

Ingredients:

Avocado: 2 (approx 300 gms)
Onion: ½ medium sized finely chopped
Ginger: 1 tsp (optional)
Garlic: 1/2 tsp (optional)
Green chillies: 2-3 finely chopped
Coriander leaves: 2 heaped tbsp chopped
Lime juice: 1 ½ tbsp
Roasted cumin powder: ½ tsp
Salt: to taste
Mustard oil: 1 tsp (can be replaced with Olive oil)

How I did it:

When you buy avocado from the market, you will most likely need to leave it outside the fridge for 2-3 days to ripen. This ensures that the avocado is soft and easy to mash. You can feel the softness by pressing on the outside. Once it is ripe, store it in the fridge. As a word of caution, do not leave it out for too long !

Now cut the avocado from the middle, as shown in the picture. Pull out the halves by twisting the 2 halves in opposite direction. Next, scoop the avocado out from the skin using a spoon. If the avocado is ripe, it will come off quite clean.

Using the back of a fork, mash the avocado in a bowl. I have used a blender to do this job but I prefer using the fork because the pulp is so soft that blending in makes it into a paste. I like its buttery and nutty texture and using a fork preserves that texture.

Now add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, chillies, coriander leaves, roasted cumin powder and salt.

Finish it with lime juice and a drizzle of mustard oil for that extra zing! Mix all the ingredients with a spoon. Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.

Notes:

• Avocado tends to brown very quickly and lime juice helps to maintain it’s vibrant color. Prepare this dish closer to the time when you want to eat it or the avocado may turn brown.
  • I like the taste of raw ginger and garlic in the above proportions. If you do not like the taste of raw ginger or garlic, you can skip it or alter the proportions.
  • If you do not like the flavor of mustard oil, use olive oil instead. I used olive oil for my little one when he was younger. Now he’s gotten used to the flavor of mustard oil too ;)

Enjoy it as a side with any meal!

About these ads

About Sublime Palate

food and thoughts...
This entry was posted in Chutneys / Sides, Indian, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

217 Responses to To a refreshing 2012: Avocado Chutney

1. looks oh-so-good. i wish avocados weren’t so darn expensive here, otherwise, i’d eat them like this all the time.

great recipe!

2. Absolutely beautiful — both your thoughts on parenting and the chutney!

As a parent of two amazing souls (9 and 12) and an avocado lover, I can tell you I LOVED this post. I often think about the lessons I learned from my parents — both the good and the not-so-good — and wonder what my children will reflect on about me and my parenting skills when they are older.

It has been an eye opener to me, this parenting “thing”: At first, I thought my job was to remove all obstacles to give them the best life possible. Now I’ve come to think my job is to help them navigate their obstacles (including failures) to provide themselves the best future possible. Quite the challenge…

Thanks for sharing this — thoughts and recipe. Love ‘em all!

3. Carlie Chew says:

Yumm, sounds delicious.

4. Wow, looks and sounds delicious! And congrats on Freshly Pressed!
    Hugs,
    kathy

5. starlaschat says:

OH It’s so beautiful and looks so yummy! Thank You for the recipe I would to try this. :+)

6. Nilda R. Witty says:

!Delicioso! Bellas fotos.

7. anaslense says:

Love avocados!

8. aimeeberrett says:

Looks amazing. But how is this different than guacamole?

• Thank you:) As I said, you didn’t get Avocados in India where I was growing up. You can say this is an Indian take on guacamole with all the mustard oil (which has a very strong flavor), roasted cumin powder and no tomatoes. The taste is different from guacamole mainly due to these ingredients.

9. emshanu says:

Looks delicious! Great blog!

10. emmycooks says:

Isn’t it an odd thing, sending your little ones out into the world? Sometimes I hear myself saying out loud the social norms that I want my kids to conform to and suddenly think, why? It’s a good opportunity to reflect on our values, I guess. So in the end I do occasionally tell my kids not to boss everyone around, but I don’t tell them not to hug people they just met (unless they seem like they don’t want to be hugged!). I feel like children often intuitively do things that, if we all did them, might make the world a little more joyful. :)

• penny2014 says:

I really agree with you on the issue of the ‘hug’. I believe TOO that some of the things children do intuitively are actually the normal things we all ought to do to make the world a better place. Thanks for sharing that thought. I love Avocado too. Great recipe.

• @ emmycooks & @penny2014 : Absolutely!!:-) It’s such a learning process for us and the kids.. I too try to let him be as much as possible.. But I guess it varies from situation to situation – and upon how others / other parents perceive your child’s behavior..

11. andy1076 says:

What a great way to use Avocado :)

12. heilamonster says:

Sounds better than guacamole! This would be great as a spread for a sandwich too

13. Raaj Trambadia says:

No offence my friend ..the post is lovely, but I personally hate avocados. And to be honest, I shouldn’t even comment here, but I don’t know why I just loved the pics :) Nice clicks..Cheers

Please check out my latest post – http://raajtram.com/2012/03/12/my-dad-says/

And even my new PhotoBlog – http://raajclicks.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/oh-i-love-my-laptop/

14. madammommy says:

Oooooh! I am new to avocado too, having grown up in India. And I have grown to love them. This looks delish!!! Must try! I am also going to follow you for more recipes:)!

15. dhasty01 says:

Reblogged this on desz01 and commented:
    I love ANYTHING Avocados! This recipe looks great. Thanks for the post.

16. Samantha says:

This sounds fantastic. I want to try it sometime :)

17. Hi,
    Great recipe & photos – will give this a go!

18. Rae says:

I like green avocados. I do.
    And I would eat them with an onion.
    And I would eat them with green chiles.
    And I will eat them in the some garlic.
    And in ginger. And on a leaf or lime.
    And with garlic. And with mustard.
    Say! I will eat them anyway!

19. Constance V. Walden says:

I love avocados so much. Thank you so sharing this. Connie

20. B. says:

Yeah! In Mexico minus the ginger we called Guacamole!

• cookandbaker says:

yeap, great guacamole recipe – I’d omit the ginger too to be honest. I was intrigued by the mention of ‘chutney’ along with a picture of vibrant green mushed avocados. I thought it’d be a cooked recipe with vinegar and sugar and am glad the avos were not ruined by being boiled or something.

21. theomerma says:

O.o -drollsssssss— LOL!

22. Nish says:

Looks delicious… Can’t wait to make some..

23. leah says:

Yum! this recipe sounds divine. I love mushing up avocado’s to make salsa and guacamole, so this might be my next version of an avocado dip. Thank you for sharing.

24. roberto88264 says:

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. Greetings from Italy.

25. denlyn3 says:

This is a great alternative to guacamole. I will give it a try, thanks.

26. I love avocados and guacamole, but this might be a very interesting diversion from guacamole. And FYI, a study was done that proved acids do NOT prevent avocados from browning once they’re cut. The only thing that works, apparently, is keeping air away, and that can be done by putting clear cling wrap over the top of the avocado (or avocado mixture) and pressing it into the avocado so no air gets to it. All other methods are simply old wives’ tales.

• Thanks Julee for visiting and the additional information! :)
      Now I am wondering how the left over chutney stayed green 24 hours later in a small bowl. uncovered. refrigerated.

• That’s weird! I would think it would have been almost black on top by then! I read about some tests somebody did with lemon/lime and vinegar, and nothing worked except for cling-wrap on top which kept the air out. So who knows? Anyway, all that stuff makes it taste good!

27. Zak Suhar says:

I love me some avocado!

28. Hygeia says:

Reblogged this on Raw Hygeia and commented:
    Oh this looks so delicious!!!! I love avocado and I definitely have to try this recipe.

29. Yummy! Looks delicious!

30. ~Hermelynda~ says:

Looks wonderful! I have fallen in love with avocado all over again! Can’t wait to give this recipe a go! :)

31. Amber says:

Your chutney looks wonderful!

32. unconventionally beautiful says:

I love making guacamole with avocados. I’m not too sure what chutney is, but since you posted the recipe, I will definately try it!

• Chutney is a side dish, like a relish.. the term chutney is used in India and other South Asian countries to refer to a dip / side dish / relish and can be made with anything – tomatoes, corriander, mint, mango, being the common ones.. Let me know how it turns out if you try it:)

33. The ginger is an interesting addition. I will have to try it soon. What do you eat your avocado chutney with?

34. Leguanite says:

That looks deliciousl

35. starlight says:

i love avocado and in fact, i have an avocado tree in my garden which we had planted not too long ago, so with lots of luck maybe they will bear fruits in 3yrs time.. your recipe looks yummy and delicious, need to try it.. thanks for sharing.

36. DyingNote says:

I see avocados at the local vendors often but I’ve never been sure of how to use them. But this has got me going. Simple, wonderful recipe. Thanks.

37. zaldy says:

wah mantap bener makan ni!!!
    jadi laper,,! hhehe

oya jngan lupa kunjungi website kami di http://www.unsri.ac.id

38. Nicole Brait says:

This looks great. I like just about anything with avocados, especially anything with avocados, ginger, garlic and lime.
    I also liked what you had to say about the journey of parenting.

39. ~ Musa ~ says:

Oh! I love this! I’ve turned vegan and have been trying different recipes of veggies and fruits. Thanks for sharing. I would love to share this away!

40. Ayu mustika says:

love so much avocado…nice post,happy blogging

41. wow your pics look great! what camera are you using? :)

42. Anne-Marie says:

This recipe is just wonderful .. I found an avocado in the fridge today and I’ll try this recipe tomorrow! Must pick up a lime, though! Lovely blog .. I’ll visit for more recipes. :)

43. Ugh this looks divine, so well presented too, bravo!

44. Kumu says:

Fantastic idea , just when I was wondering how to incorporate Avocado.

45. Meredith Maisonneuve says:

Here in Sri Lanka we too have wonderful avos and the ginger and lime will be most appropriate here – as opposed to the Mexican version:)

By the way, if you pop the seed in the centre of the leftovers in the bowl, and cover it with cling film, it’ll keep well in the fridge – that is, if there ARE any leftovers:)

• Great tip, thanks:-) In fact, there was a little bit left over and we ate it 24 hrs later. It was still vibrant green almost like the previous day. I think it was due to the lime. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on the recipe.

46. Ryan Sprout says:

That really looks delicious! Sounds great and congrats on getting freshly pressed!

47. sabreenakaur says:

AHHHHH YUM!!!!!!!!!

48. Gold fish says:

feel the taste with sweet images…

49. Deeeeelish. Looks great and all the types of ingredients that I love. I will definitely by trying this one. Thanks for posting.

50. Kelsey Jack says:

Reblogged this on Jaime Loves Food and commented:
    #Freshstrawberrylemonade #Tilapiafishtacos with #Cabbage & #Freshavocadochutney what’s on your palate tonight?

51. Yummy! So similar to guacamole.

52. mzsura says:

Looks delicious. I need to give this a try!

53. ^ Receita fantastica !!!! (Brasil)

54. Should I throw another country into the mix and put this on a lettuce leaf with some Korean bbq?

55. kelvintan88 says:

Nice post! Love the vibrant colours, the green is appropriate as it’s coming up to St. Patrick’s Day!

56. Absolutely delicious! Avocado goes great with everything. Would love share an avocado dip with a girl during this time of year lol. Nothing like fresh avocados:)

57. irishsignora says:

That looks spectacular!

58. I just ate, but I’m hungry again just looking at your post. :D Totally going to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing! And congrats on getting on Freshly Pressed :)

59. Sarah says:

Yum! This looks so amazing! I love all the spices you put in it – and mustard oil?!! Gotta try that!

• Thanks for stopping by:) Mustard oil has a strong pungent flavor. It takes a some getting used to if you’ve never had it before, but once you’ve gone past that, you’ll find it irresistible!

60. valentinedee says:

I love avocado and I make it a few ways. Your way is almost identicle to the way I make it. I guess we have great taste! No pun intended.

val
    http:valentinedefrancis.wordpress.com

61. kaylieruns says:

This looks so good! You have inspired me to do more with my avocados than add slices to my turkey sandwich. I have never seen mustard oil in the stores- is it easy to find? Is there a replacement ingredient you could add instead?

62. Yum…again yum! Stop by and say hi :)

63. Steven says:

Avocados and chutney; maybe opposites do attract. This would’ve given me much hope if it were published prior to Valentine’s day…Ah well.

-Steven
    ———————————–
    Check out this battle of wills: Foodie vs Food Allergy

64. I was excited about the chutney recipe, but the intro definitely was what made this post so great!

65. This looks so good! I’ll have to try it sometime :)

66. Paul says:

This is great! I love avocados!

67. Nice blog, great recipe, lovely pictures. Looking forward to more. Thanks

68. Reblogged this on outfrominside and commented:
    can’t wait to try this out!

69. Okay, I actually tried this. I thought at first that the combination of cumin and avocado wouldn’t work so well but it DID. It was delicious, thanks so much!!!!!

70. Julie says:

Reblogged this on Roads are made by Traveling and commented:
    Need to something about all those avocados in the fridge!

71. Claireanne says:

I never thought to put ginger or roasted cumin powder with avocado! This looks absolutely wonderful. I am slightly obsessed with avocados and upon seeing that photograph on the front page, well…
    Thank you so much for sharing, I cannot wait to make this!!! :)

72. siba sahu says:

Looks delicious !!

73. Reblogged this on Inspiredweightloss and commented:
    I love avocados!

74. nepali jiwan says:

This looks great! We’ve got about ten really rips avocados on our kitchen table, and I’ve been wondering what to do with them. Looks like avocado chutney is on the menu tonight :)

75. Young Wifey says:

That looks and sounds delicious!!!! I can’t wait to have a fresh avocado…

76. dawnmcnary says:

Love avocados any time of the year- anything from just sliced on a sandwiched to mixed up with variety of ingredients– the flavors in this one sound interesting…will adjusting the amounts, as you say, will it change the total flavor a great deal- or just make it more subtle??? Also, great pics- I am thinking I should not have read this just before lunch- soooo hungry now!! :-)

77. dawnmcnary says:

Reblogged this on dawnmcnary and commented:
    I plan to try this recipe this weekend- check it out, but NOt before lunch- the photos are so appetizing you will not be able to wait for your lunch break!!

78. whyyyjen says:

My mom used to do this! So delish :)

79. Yael says:

This looks DELICIOUS! and Healthy! Check out my healthy food blog :) sweetlifegonehealthy.wordpress.com/

80. My first thought was, mmm…guacamole – but I already have a recipe. Then I saw it was a chutney instead, which gives me the perfect excuse to try this out. I do love me some avocado! Thanks for sharing.

81. It looks sooo good. Very clear instructions. Thank-you

82. intuitiveone says:

yummy! I just love avacado’s on a chip or by the spoonful. conngrats on being FP!

83. sangaaa says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Always wanted to know how to make it.

84. Reblogged this on Yeah, Na, Yeah and commented:
    Just came across this blog. The Avacado Chutney is something I will be making this weekend, it looks so great. I make a similar dip with corriander, lemon juice, tomatoes (finely chopped) and garlic but never with the ginger and cumin powder. Yummo!

85. Great idea. I think it would go very well with some nice vegetable curry.

86. wholisticme says:

Reblogged this on wholisticme and commented:
    Looks so jummy!

87. I saw this pic and could taste it…..LITERALLY!

88. Reblogged this on Socially Fit and commented:
    This is going to be on my plate one day this week!

89. Dr Ken Romeo says:

This recipe is wonderful. Thank you!

90. Pingback: Spiced Raw Banana or Plantain Kofta | ..and a cup of joy! | the Sublime Palate

91. colorodyssey says:

Well done! Glad to see you follow your passions and inspire others too. Keep it up with your mouth-watering food & lovely conversations! :-)
    Cheers!

92. Julianna says:

Not sure how I found you (magic, of course), but so stoked I did!

93. trialsinfood says:

interesting recipe. it looks yummy!

94. rosescollection says:

Try adding some pomegranate… You’ll be hooked!

95. I love avocados! Recipe looks delicious, thanks for posting ^.^~

96. Undeniably believe that that you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be at the internet the easiest factor to
    bear in mind of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst people consider concerns that they just don’t recognise about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , folks could
    take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thank
    you

97. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about embarazo dias fertiles calculadora.
    Regards

98. The fresh call of duty advanced warfare download online game, you are playing
    them straight away. Instead of finding them stimulating and fascinating video gaming, there
    has been a shift from playing. Those that like to do so.

99. Neil says:

whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like reading your articles.
    Stay up the great work! You know, lots of people are looking around for
    this info, you could aid them greatly.

100. Katrin says:

Superb blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start
    my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused ..
    Any tips? Appreciate it!

101. Carroll says:

Very good article. I absolutely appreciate this website.
    Keep it up!

102. First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to
    ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I’ve had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas
    out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15
    minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints?

Appreciate it!

103. Napoleon says:

Go outside with your dog with them in your home
    to find the right book from the home dog training techniques and family.
    Dog training dvdwill help master to interact socially with some basic
    instructions. Aggressive training could be unpleasant.
    A dog is a talented, loyal companion. The harnesses are highly excited, and that is understandable that you seek will soon know that
    could have been trained and living in the shelters.
    Even proponents recognize that excessive lengths of forced crate time to adopt new
    things during the training.

104. azurite says:

Wearing jewelry the colour of the charka you are healing will
    also help. Use Chrysoberyl to attract your creative energy and attract your creativity to you,
    you will find that the creative vibes will just flow to and
    thru you when you carry this crystal. inspiration, creativity and intuition within the mind.

105. I feel this is among the most significant information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few
    general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is truly nice : D.

Good job, cheers