I have always wanted to enter the world of blogging ever since I knew about it! I have made several attempts in the past… but, unsuccessful. This time, I am determined to start this whole new journey…
Here’s to a new beginning!
Although I was born in India and went to school there, I have had the fantastic opportunity to spend 5 years in Bangkok and live life as a local there. I believe there is no better way to know a place than to be and to do as the locals do. I spent some of the best years of my life there. When I arrived in Bangkok from Delhi, I was only 17. Bangkok was so different. I had a major culture shock. I had left all my friends back in India to start a new life. The first 6 months were depressing. I remember complaining to my friends about how much I hated the place and wanted to take the first flight back, if only it was possible!
There were many hurdles, language being the biggest. I had to learn how to order my food, how to give directions, how to take a bus to college and back, and a lot more. The smell of street food would drive me mad! I remember a particular street food vendor near our house selling deep fried chicken feet!! You read it right! Deep Fried Chicken Feet! It was the worst smell I could have ever imagined! There were many such street food vendors and I remember squeezing my nose past those stalls & running away as quickly as possible – or better still – take a Motorbike taxi home for 5 Baht from the Main Road to the house 🙂
It took a couple of months for me and I don’t exactly remember how or when… my love affair with Thai Food started. The same smells made me hungry! If you have been to Thailand, you would know that fish sauce with chopped chillies is a common sight. It is usually kept on the table just like salt and pepper. That fish sauce with chopped chillies just makes me drool now!
Therefore, it is no surprise that Thai Cuisine holds a special place in my heart. I love the spice and the herbs which combine together to get those unique flavors. I love cooking Thai food just as much as I love eating it! No, wait! I love eating it more than I love cooking it! errr… No! That’s not correct. Bottom line: I simply love Thai Food. So, my first post is dedicated to the cuisine that will always remain my first love.
Click here for a printer-friendly version of this recipe.
Spaghetti – 150 gms (enough for 3 people).
Minced Chicken: 100 gms
Button Mushrooms sliced – 1/2 cup
1/2 Capsicum – cut into long pieces
4 Long beans cut into small pcs (about an inch long)
Basil leaves – a generous bunch!
Garlic: 1-2 tbsp pounded (If you can get hold of Thai garlic, use that. Thai garlic is smaller and has very thin skin. The smell is absolutely out of this world and it adds that authentic flavor to the dish!)
Chopped fresh red and green chillies – 1 tbsp (I love my food spicy… so if you don’t like it spicy, reduce the number of chillies)
Cooking oil: 1 -2 tbsp
How I did it:
- Boil Spaghetti al dente as per instructions on the pack.
- Cool down under running cold water to stop the cooking process. Add a little oil to the spaghetti and keep aside.
- Take a small pan and cook the mushrooms with salt. This may take a few minutes. Keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of fish sauce to the minced chicken.
- Add oil to the wok. Turn up the heat. Wait for the oil to get a little smoky.
- Once it gets smoky, add garlic. Continue to stir or the garlic will burn. If it is too hot, reduce the heat.
- Add the minced chicken seasoned with the fish sauce to the wok now. The heat should be high/medium at all times unless you feel that the food is burning. You will need to continue to stir the chicken very frequently to ensure it is cooked but not burnt.
- Add the chopped chillies and keep stirring. With the back of the ladle, mash the chillies to make the spice go all the way into the chicken – if you like it really spicy! 🙂
- This next step is optional. If you can get your hands on a packet of “mama” noodles (the Thai Tom Yum flavor noodles absolutely to die for!), this recipe can be spiked up by using the spice powder (masala) from the “Mama” noodles packet.
- Now add the long beans. Stir fry for 2 mins on high heat.
- Next add the capsicum. Remember to keep the heat on high once the vegetables are added to ensure they are stir fried and crunchy!
- Add the spaghetti. Next add 2 to 3 tbsp oyster sauce. Stir continuously. Check for salt and spice and adjust accordingly. The balance (oyster sauce and fish sauce) is important and the amount will vary depending on your preference. Oyster sauce adds to the color of the dish and fish sauce adds that pungent & salty taste which I absolutely love!
- Now add a generous bunch of fresh basil leaves. Stir well and serve immediately. Remember, this should be eaten absolutely hot ! Nothing like a glass of chilled beer with spicy basil chicken spaghetti 😉
P.S: After my first few months in Bangkok, and when I could not resist the smell of that deep fried chicken feet any longer, I just had to try it! The result: a little disappointment, it wasn’t for me 😉
13 thoughts on “Basil Chicken Spaghetti”
One order please
I know I said I was going to stop and go cook some lunch but, I can’t stop looking at your beautiul blog Well Done!
thank you!!! 🙂
I really did enjoy looking at your blog. I am inspired to try some of your recipes. :+) Thank You for replying to my comments. That was a nice surprise this morning. it made me smile. :+)
Fantastic looking spaghetti! The vegetables and herbs look so fresh! Yum!
Thank you Amber!
Oh my word…I am taking my time catching up with your blog – one sublime recipe at a time! Loving it! Warmest greetings, a Malaysian in Finland 😀 Sharon
thanks a lot for such kind words 🙂
The more I go through your blog the more I am convinced we have the exact same taste buds! So you think chicken feet isn’t for you? I will pass when there’s some on offer.
Your pictures are beautiful as well, just so you know they are being appreciated cause I know we all take pride in those clicks!
Tomorrow’s supper is in my head! 😀
great good and GREAT PHOTOS! you made me so hungry!!
I’ll try it out one day
A delicious combination! That dish is so droolworthy.
hOur company offers a wide variety of non prescription products. Look at our health website in case you want to feel better with a help of health products. Our company provides herbal health and related products. Look at our health contributing portal in case you want to improve your health. Our company provides a wide variety of supplements. Visit our health contributing website in case you want to look better. Our company offers a wide variety of non prescription drugs. Visit our health site in case you want to to feel healthier with a help of general health products. Our company provides a wide variety of non prescription products. Take a look at our health portal in case you want to feel better with a help of health products. Our company provides a wide variety of non prescription products. Visit our health site in case you want to to feel healthier with a help of generic supplements.
Our company offers a wide variety of non prescription products. Take a look at our health portal in case you want to feel better with a help of health products. Our company offers a wide variety of non prescription drugs. Look at our health portal in case you want to strengthen your health with a help of generic supplements. Our company provides non prescription products. Look at our health contributing website in case you want to improve your health. Our company offers supreme quality pills. Visit our health contributing site in case you want to feel healthier. Our company offers a wide variety of non prescription drugs. Visit our health portal in case you want to feel better.